In 2012, we are pleased to once again run prose
and poetry competitions, in association with the Mountaineering Council
The MCofS has encouraged
creative mountain writing through the MCofS Mountain Article Competition
since 1987. There have been over 300 entries since its inception by
then President Graham E Little. Past Vice President Ingrid Parker then
introduced a Poetry category in 1997.
We all have it in us, so if you feel you can let it out, then, enter
the competition. The subject matter must have a connection with any
aspect of mountaineering, rock climbing, walking or ski mountaineering
/ ski-touring. It can be fiction or non-fiction, weird or wonderful.
Judges will look for originality.
Judges are MCofS Committee members and staff, past competition winners
and well known authors or journalists. Volunteer and MCofS member Jayne
Glass is the Mountain Article Competition Coordinator, compiling
entries and arranging judging. The articles are judged anonymously.
1st - £150 & EMFF weekend ticket
2nd - £100
3rd - £50
1st - £100 & EMFF weekend ticket
2nd - £50
3rd - £25
How to enter
We are looking for inspirational writing about any subject to do
with mountaineering, walking, and climbing (or the mountains themselves!).
You can write prose or poetry and there are prizes for each. Visit the MCofS page for further details.
Send entries either by post or email. By post, please mark your envelope
"mountain article competition" and send to:
Mountain Article Coordinator, c/o the MCofS, The Old Granary, West Mill
Street, Perth PH1 5QP
Alternatively, email entries to:
If you have any
questions in the meantime, please contact the MCoS at the above email.
- Closing date for entries is 31August 2012
- The competition is open to anyone resident in the UK, whether members
of the MCofS or not. Members should quote their club name or membership
- Prose entries should be no more than 2,000 words and can be
fact or fiction
- Poetry entries can be as long or as short as you like
- All should be preferably typed (or supplied as a word or rtf document
on disc or Email), but otherwise clearly written on single-sided paper
- Enclose an SAE if you wish the article to be returned.
- MCofS and EMFF retain the right to publish the winners
- The judges' decision is final and no correspondence will be entered